The Mactan Shrine houses three of the prominent landmarks in the island. The shrine has a large tower erected in commemoration of the "Battle of Mactan" and the victory over foreign forces. The area where the shrine stands was believed to be the battle ground where Magellan died.
The site where the battle between Mactan Island Chieftain Lapu-lapu and the foreign aggressor Ferdinand Magellan occured in April 27, 1521. It depects the hero holding a bolo in one hand and a pestle on the other, which were believed to have been used during his combat with Magellan. This monument stands as a reminder of Filipino bravery.
Its called Santo Nino de Mactan Parish Church. Uniquely disgned that the roof has a shape like that of Magellan's hat.
Mactan Island, is the home to the majority of the guitar manufacturers in Cebu. Visiting one of the many factories will enable you to actually see how guitars are made. One of the pioneers in the guitar-making business is the Alegre Guitars. Their guitars are of great quality that the shop even exports their products to other countries.
(Lapulapu City; November 20-21). Held to honor the patroness of Opon. This religious and social event reveals the deep religious faith of the people and their penchant for merry making. A food fair, carnival, procession, and a coronation of the Fiesta Queen highlight the festivity.
Named after Senator Marcelo Fernan, a political figure from Cebu City.It spans across Mactan Channel connecting Cebu Island to Mactan Island & was opened in August 1999. The bridge has a total length of 1237 meters (4058.40 feet) with a center span of 185 meters (606.96 feet). The bridge is one of the widest and longest bridge span in the Philippines.
Used to be the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center in M.J. Cuenco Avenue which was transformed itself into Museo Sugbo. The facility was designed in 1869, by a Spanish architect named Domingo de Escondrillas. The CPDRC structure was built in 1871. Also known as Carcel de Cebu, and it served as the main prison in the province.
The smallest and oldest triangular bastion, the first Spanish fort established in the country. It was built in 1565 primarily to protect the Spanish settlers from marauding pirates in the area. Completed in 1835, it has stood witness to the changes in the history of Cebu until much of it was destroyed during WW II when it served as a Japanese prison camp.
Built by the Spanish Colonial Government in 1885 for the Ayuntamiento (City Council Body), was originally a 2-story structure made of limestone and hardwood. In 1907, the new American Colonial Government renovated it for the incoming Presidentes Municipales who governed Cebu after the approval of the Philippine Bill, permitting the administration of civil government by Filipinos.
In 1521, Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan planted a cross on the very spot where the first Filipinos were baptized. People started chipping off parts of the cross because of supposed supernatural powers until the city government encased it in tindalo wood and housed it in a monument. It now stands at newly constructed SUGBU PLAZA, infront of the Cebu City Hall.
This church was built by Miguel Lopez de Legaspi and Fr. Andres Urdaneta on the site where the image of Santo Niño was found in 1565. The first structure of the church was, however, destroyed by fire on November 1, 1568. It was rebuilt in 1602 under the administration of Juan Albaran and was rehabilitated in 1740.
The Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral is the ecclesiastical seat of the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Cebu in Cebu, Philippines. Cebu was established as a diocese on August 14, 1595. It was elevated as a metropolitan archdiocese on April 28, 1934. During World War II, much of the cathedral was destroyed by Allied bombings of the city. Only the belfry (built in 1835), the facade, and the walls remained. It was quickly rebuilt in the 1950s during the incumbency of Archbishop Gabriel Reyes.
Considered as the oldest street in the Philippines. Built by the Spaniards during the time of Miguel Lopez de Legaspi. An obelisk detailing its historical significance was constructed on its northern end along with the various markers placed in areas pinpointing sites of historical and cultural significance in Colon Street. It is the heart of downtown Cebu & named after Christopher Columbus.
Located on the original Plaza Parian, the Heritage of Cebu Monument showcases the significant and symbolic events in the history of Cebu from the time of Rajah Humabon to the recent beatification of Cebuano martyr Pedro Calungsod. Its the work of national artist Edgardo Castrillo which began on July 1997 and inaugurated in Dec. 8, 2000.
Located in Lopez Jaena Street, it is the home of the first Filipino Bishop of Cebu - Juan Gorordo (1862-1934). A tour inside this residence is a brief journey into a Filipino lifestyle in a particular period between 1860 to 1920. The place presently features noted paintings, museum relics, a courtyard, antique household items and furniture.
(Osmeña Blvd., Cebu City). An impressive circular park in the heart of Cebu City. The park is named after the late Sergio Osmeña Sr, the second president of the Philippine Commonwealth and Cebu's Grand Old Man. A lovely circular park with a beautiful fountain in the middle.
The museum is actually the Osmena Mansion where memorabilias of President Sergio Osmena --- President Manuel Quezon's 's succesor and founder of the Nationalista Party --- are displayed. President Osmena is the grandfather of Sen. Sergio Osmena III, former Sen. John Osmena, former Gov. Lito Osmena, and Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmena.
The seat of the Provincial government, is of pre-war vintage and has the undulating mountains of Cebu for its background. Majestic and imposing, its high dome can be seen along Osmeña Boulevard. A replica of the United States' Capitol. One of the many beautiful capitol buildings in the country, constructed in 1937 under the administration of Governor Sotero Cabahug.
A concrete reminder of the well-established Chinese Community in Cebu City, which has greatly contributed to the industrialization of Cebu. Built in 1964, the temple houses the teachings of Lao-Tse, the 600 B.C. Chinese Philosopher. People climb the temple's 99 steps to light joss sticks, mediate or have their fortunes told.
Situated 2,000 above sea level on the cool hills of Busay. It is an excellent sight-seeing spot which offers a breathtaking view of Metro Cebu and the islands of Mactan and Olango. Only 15 minutes ride away from Cebu City's Lahug area. Going there has an additional charge of P500 (car or van), aside from the entrance fee of P100 per person.